I awoke early again with the daybreak. Eunice & I had coffee and visited until it was time for me to leave and head for Durand to visit a high school friend of my, Janice Page & her husband.
Jan & her husband, Bill, were both retired for quite a few years and had recently moved to Durand from the Tainter Lake area. When I arrived, I was given a tour of their “on the hill” home! They, like my cousin, Eunice, picked up this beautiful home for “a song & a dance”!…they even had a swimming pool….IN WISCONSIN!
We chatted for a time before heading out to find someplace to have lunch! Since her husband insisted on paying, I didn’t get a receipt to remember the name of the restaurant, but I do remember it was overlooking the river (maybe Durand House?)!
After lunch we went to Jan’s brother’s office, Roger Hillestad, a lawyer in Durand! Although, Roger was very accommodating, we didn’t stay too long before leaving with the agreement that we would see him that evening for the football game at his home.
Next we headed out to see Julie, Jan’s younger sister that also is living in Durand for now! Julie was one year behind Jan & I in high school, but I discovered that we were only a couple months different in age! Another reminder that when you’re in high school, even one year in school made a big difference in who you “hung around” with!
Julie had been divorced and single for quite a few years, so she had developed an interesting way to earn a living! She had started in the remodeling area as an “expeditor” of sorts and learned what the contractors did by watching or helping. As her “exposure” to the various contractors expanded, she became more & more of a “handyman” herself. Now nearly 40 years later, she does much of the work herself with only occasional outside help! The home she is currently working on is owned by her brother, so while she is completing the work, she lives in the home!
Now for those that may not know…..I have been remodeling my home as well as one of my cabins in Alaska. Needless, to say, Julie & I talked for quite some time on the subject! That is until the phone rang and as she danced around the room and later announced she had a new boyfriend! Then “us girls” had a long “girls” talk that poor Bill had to sit out, but still had to wait as Jan & I came in the same car with Bill driving! That is....until Bill had his fill of the girl talk and wanted to leave!
I will have to admit, I’ve been in the “same boat”….being left out of the conversation, so I was ready to go! But Jan insisted that she would take Bill home so he could get ready to watch the “Packers vs. Vikings” football game and she would come back! Julie and I continued talking while Jan took Bill the short distance home and then came back!
The Vikings won that night….all to the dismay of the Packer fans! Only one Viking fan attended and he left early! By the way, Joe, why did you leave early?…..your team won!!

No comments:
Post a Comment