I decided to cancel my visit with Richard & Nancy Churchill as that would put me further east than I was comfortable with due to weather.
I hadn’t seen Chris & Beth Novotney yet, I had planned to see them on the 16th on my way out of Wisconsin. But now with the change in plans, I called them about 8:30 am to see if it was possibly to see them today!
Chris called back around 10 am and asked if I could come over to his house by noon. He said that Kandee and four of her five kids would be there too! I couldn’t turn that down, so off I went! I arrived in Menomonie early enough to drive down to Wakanda Park, a park where I learned how to swim when I was a kid and where many family picnics with relatives were held. I couldn’t have arrived on a better day…..the leaves on the trees looking down on the road that goes to the beach, were in their brillliant colors!
Chris called back around 10 am and asked if I could come over to his house by noon. He said that Kandee and four of her five kids would be there too! I couldn’t turn that down, so off I went! I arrived in Menomonie early enough to drive down to Wakanda Park, a park where I learned how to swim when I was a kid and where many family picnics with relatives were held. I couldn’t have arrived on a better day…..the leaves on the trees looking down on the road that goes to the beach, were in their brillliant colors!
On to Chris & Beth’s….the drive to Boyceville was familiar only until I passed the house where my mother would drop off Martha, a caretaker of my brother’s and I until I was 12. The house belonged to Martha's sister and would spend weekends with there. I’m sure I was on that road before, but no memories of it came to mind!
The highway went through rolling hills with lots of green and only a little sprinkling of fall colors! I’m sure with the cold front that was coming the colors would be out and gone soon!
Driving up to Chris & Beth’s home, I was amazed at how big it looked on the north side of the house driving south on Country Rd K! Was I at the right house? The numbers on the mailbox were only “37”. Then I saw Chris…waving! Yep, that sounds like it would be one of my brother, Bill’s, kids…..leave some of the numbers off the mailbox just for laughs! Chris just laughed when I mentioned the numbers on the mailbox and he quickly got to business and introduced me to everyone inside….actually the kids inside! I had never seen any of the kids….they were all born after my last visit to Wisconsin in Oct 1992! Below a picture from the south side of the house....
A lot of conversation before a spaghetti lunch and then it was time for the animals! I didn’t go down to the pasture with Shayleigh & Shania but Chris & Beth had a deck with a great view! It was chilly out though, so a lot of trips in & out to warm up and back out again for more picture taking!
Above Shayleigh & Shania feeding the horses apples.
-----Shayleigh trying to mount bareback
Shayleigh's persistence and Shania's help, she finally got mounted and riding!
I could resist adding this picture of the dog that Chris & Beth were babysitting for her parents. I had never seen a dog that was falling asleep while sitting like this. This dog tumbled over once when dozing off and woke up only to sit up again and fall right back asleep....sitting up!
Around 4 pm I went out to check on the motorhome furnace and propane level. The motorhome was warm, but the propane had hit the bottom light….red! I explained to everyone inside that propane was my main source of heat and I was nearly out so I it was time to go. After a few more pictures and then goodbyes, I was off to Menomonie to an RV park that sold propane…..remember this was Sunday so I felt lucky to find any place that was selling propane on Sunday!
The name of the RV park was Twin Springs Camping Resort….and do they like their propane! I had paid $2.20 per gal the last time I filled up. Twin Springs charged $3.50 per gal and didn’t accept credit cards….and wouldn’t have given a receipt except that I asked for one! I decided that I wasn’t going to stay here for the night, so off I went as soon as my propane tank was full!
I ended up deciding that since I was already in Menomonie that I would stay for the evening and go over to Elmwood the next morning since I couldn’t leave Wisconsin until Tuesday anyway. I had a small package I wanted to deliver to Betty Harris as well as to see her one more time, so I called her to be sure it would be okay to stop by. She was surprised to hear from me and wanted to know where I was! After a brief conversation, we agreed to a 10 am visit. I knew that I would be waking up to snow if the weather forecast was correct, but I didn’t want to worry about having any stops to make when I was heading west!
I decided to drive as far as I could toward Elmwood and found a nice campground in Irvington! After hooking up to the electricity I plugged in my microwave and made my dinner in 4 minutes…..a Kashi frozen entrĂ©e!….health & good!

The rest of the evening was writing up the events to post to my blog....so I had plenty to do to stay out of trouble!

1 comment:
What a great fall picture of the trees Betty! You could sell that one!!
Post a Comment