Wednesday, September 30, 2009

9/30/2009 - River Falls to Elmwood, Wisconsin

Sept 30 - Wed
The last day of the month...Halloween here we come! So I had a string of little Halloween pumpkin lights on my windshield for the occasion!

Cindi & I had decided the night before that whoever was up first by 8 am, to call the other! Although I had been up for more than an hour, Cindi was the one to call me! She was going to come pick me up to take me to her house, but I looked at the map that morning and decided to drive there with the motorhome! I have a Wisconsin Gazetteer, so I had located her home and thought that since I would have to leave River Falls in the same direction as driving to her home, that it would be less trouble for her also!

Did I say, I thought I located her home! After driving to the location on the map, I couldn't find Cindi's house, so I called her! I described a few of the landmarks I had passed and she quickly realized that I was on the wrong side of Hwy 65! I discovered that her street has more than one "segment" and is not continuous. So she gave me directions as to how to get to the "right side".

Once there, we first toured the garage/shop!....this was what alot of guys would call garage heaven! This "building" was two stories, the bottom being mostly garage and workshop. But the upstairs...it was a kitchen/livingroom/bedroom "take-a-break" floor for guys! I asked Cindi if her husband, Greg, built this because she wouldn't let him in the house after getting all greasy in the shop! Not really, I think I actually said it alittle differently, but it was a studio apartment, that's for sure!

We proceeded into the house where we did a short tour that actually gave me alittle more insight to the cousin that hadn't seen since we were kids except for last summer when she visited Alaska! Her beautiful daughter, Hanna, had a picture above her bed of a gymnast in the most beautiful body position. I soon discovered it was Hanna! I requested a copy of the photo.....I hope you don't forget Cindi....:)

After talking for a short time, Cindi asked if I'd like to take a walk with her & her two golden labradors for their daily walk. Two miles later and two happy dogs we returned and it was time to say our goodbyes!

I have found a cousin that I hope to share some time with in the future...she is an interesting, amazing and resilient lady! Keep your chin up, Cindi, and stay in touch!

Back on the road, I was on my way to Elmwood to see Betty Harris. I stopped in Ellsworth to try and find a new tire pressure gauge & a few groceries. As I suspected, my tire pressure monitoring system was right, I needed air! Going from the hot temperatures in the southern states to nearly freezing temperatures at night, the air "condensed" and the a couple of the tires were "screaming" for air!

I didn't find the air in Ellsworth, but I did in Elmwood. So once the tires had more air, I was ready to go to see Betty! What a totally delightful meeting it was! We had decided that we had not seen each other for nearly 40 years....although 32 years might be the right number....:) Whatever the number, she looked absolutely great for 87 years!

After visiting for awhile, she asked if I would like to take a drive to Spring Valley. So in her car we drove so she could go to the bank! Our drive back to her farm brought another pleasant surprise....her daughter, Marie, was on the roadside nearing the farm as well! Most of the balance of the afternoon was reminising days of the past and memories that made us smile!

No new pictures to post, no road mileage to report, but lots of memory mileage!

No comments: