Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Leaving Albuquerque - Oct 27

It was time to leave Albuquerque and begin heading toward Texas. After spending most of the morning shopping for cat food & groceries, I headed east on I-40 to Hwy 337 and went south through the Cibola National Forest! The highway was a winding road that had a gradual climb with trees & lower green growth that made the drive relaxing & enjoyable!

I had plans to stop at Manzano Mountains State Park on Hwy 55, which branched off Hwy 337 to the west, to do some hiking, but as I approached I noticed that it was getting hazy. I thought it might be bad weather, but the closer I drove, this is what I discovered....


A FIRE!!

Needless to say, I continued driving south toward Mountainair.
Arriving at Mountainair, I found no convenient place to park a 32' motorhome to look around this small town, so I turned westward onto Highway 60 and headed for I-25. As I came closer to I-25, the tree covered mountains turned to what appeared to be endless barren desert.

Even my youngest cat, Loa, wasn't too interested!

When looking at the next photo, you may ask, 'Why did she take this picture?'
The answer is, it reminded me of my brother! I was going to email the photo to him and ask him why they named this small community after him!
The next sign turned out to be interesting also.....I took a picture of this sign for two reasons....1) San Antonio, New Mexico was the birthplace of Conrad Hilton and the site of the first Hilton Hotel....2) This was also the small community I where I stayed that night.

And this was the RV Park I stayed at....cash only!

No comments: