Friday, May 29, 2009

Bosque del Apache & Elephant Butte - Oct 28

The next morning, the girls & I were fresh to view all the birds....and that is what we did! We took the "whole" morning to drive about 9 miles of road!
The first pond we came to appeared to be mostly mallards.
A closer view
The second pond was some kind of goose...I think snow goose
For those of you who know your birds, here's a closer view.
The next stop was the Bosque Boardwalk.
I decided to take my youngest with me for a short walk.
And she was watching everything that moved!
Including these cute little turtles!
Once we left the Boardwalk and started down the road again, we came across some sandhill cranes.....
And not just two!.....fields of them!
And then another pond.....with thousands of birds!
And just as I was getting ready to move on, something frighten one, and all were airborne!
Morning was over and we were into the afternoon.
I noticed the time when my girls (cats) were no longer interested in all the bird activity!
So off we went, back to I-25 and southward!
The next stop was Elephant Butte Lake State Park.
The RV sites had spectactular views.
My rig
And my view!
This lake was huge!....it reminded me of Lake Mead.
On the south side of the lake there was what looked like an island, but really was a peninsula.
As I drove to see if the view was better, I discovered the road ended and actually was a dirt dam that was closed.....and here I was! Now how am I going to turn around? Well, very slowly, I began going forward then backward....turning as I went until after 3 or 4 forwards I was turned around and ready to go again! I was so proud of myself.....my cats slept through the whole thing like Mom did this all the time!
The day was getting short, so it was time to start looking for somewhere further down the road to spend the night! We ended up finding this nice state park!...and it would be our last one while in New Mexico before crossing the border into Texas.


I will have to say that the state parks are really RV friendly....they have nice sites with electricity and water at a fantastic price. The best part is, when you wake up in the morning, you don't have to drive anywhere for the hiking trails.....you only have to open the door of your own rig and you're there!

No comments: