Saturday, January 5, 2008

2008 - The Beginning of New Adventures

It feels like it's taken a long time to get to this point....traveling in a motorhome! I guess it has....a lifetime....mine!

I began traveling as a teenager with my parents. Those trips were more like "camping" trips....my brothers & I (there were 4 of us kids) taking turns sleeping in the car or the popup travel trailer with my parents that my Dad had built.

On each of our trips, my Dad would give us kids "navigation" assignments. I'm sure these were to keep us busy, but they were lessons that we would benefit us for the rest of our lives. My memories of those trips bring back many happy family times.

After my brothers & I were grown & out on our own, my parents moved to Alaska and one by one each of us followed to the "Last Frontier" behind them. There's a saying, "The chicks don't stray too far from the hen".....and that was definitely true with this family!

I discovered camping, or RVing, once again in 2001.....through my parents! By this time they were retired and had bought a motorhome to travel around our vast state and occasionally to what we Northerners call, the "lower 48" states! Since I wanted to spend as much time with them as I could...that meant, I was going to need some type of "rig" also!

My 29' Gulfstream Ultra-Supreme

In Alaska, our summers are short, so by the time I purchased my motorhome, we only had two long weekends left in 2001 before it was time to put the motorhomes to rest.....but we didn't stop talking about the fun! During the winter, we talked about and began planning a long trip "outside" (the lower 48) together.

We picked the early part of April to leave. We planned to drive from Anchorage to Haines then catch the Alaska Marine Highway System that would take us & our motorhomes to Bellingham, WA....thus being able to see the inside passage. From Bellingham, we would drive along the west coast until we would reached the Redwoods in northern California. From the Redwoods, we would turn around and begin our journey home up the Alcan Highway to Alaska!

The trip was about a month long and the memories will never be erased! Thus began the planning & making of more happy memories!

The plans are about to begin! The end of March, I will be driving my motorhome out of Alaska and begin new adventures! My parents will be traveling with me as far as Phoenix, AZ before I venture futher on my own.

My plan is to fly from Alaska each fall & spring to where I have my motorhome stored and travel for 2, 3 or 4 months before flying back to my home to Alaska!

I will be traveling with five of my best friends; Callie, Ming, Munch, Maui & Loa. Yes, they are of the furry variety! They stick with me through thick or thin.....just like my family! I'm a very lucky gal!

Callie, a Calico

Munch & Ming, Tonkinese sisters

Maui, an Egpytian Mau

Loa, a domestic Bengal


5 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

You go girl! I look forward to watching your adventures. Nice rig!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Betty! What a pretty layout for your blog!

Love the pictures of your cats and enjoyed reading about your traveling family.

Hope to cross paths someday...

Thyme

Diana said...

Looking forward to meeting you on the road. In the meantime, I'll just have to read about your adventures. Happy Travels!

Diana

imMovable Book Lady said...

Nice blog. And thanks for your kind words about mine. I'm loving tools these days. See ya on the road!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin!
Love the blog....you've done a great job! I'm having a blast reading about your travels and makes me wish I was there. I continue to relish my memories of visiting you in Alaska this past summer. Continue to enjoy your travels. Happy Trails!!
Deb